Finally, the 47-year-old from the UK went to a clinic—and got the surprise of his life.
The BBC reports that X-rays showed a spot on the man’s lung, but it wasn’t a tumor.
Part of a Playmobil set he got for his seventh birthday, the cone (less than a half-inch in length) had been inhaled by the youngster, then lodged in his lung, per the Guardian.
They speculate that because the man inhaled the cone so young, his airway “was able to remodel and adapt to the presence of this foreign body.” It was eventually absorbed into the lung lining, where it remained undetected until last year, when the man, a long-term smoker, began coughing and spitting up yellow mucus.
Doctors extracted the cone with biopsy forceps, and since then, the patient has had few problems.