"We don't have that type of problem in the United States, but what we do have, unfortunately, is sometimes importation of fruits and vegetables from those areas can contain this parasite," said emergency medicine physician, Jonathan Ford, of Hendrick Hospital.
Only cooking the food can kill the parasite.
"The little particles that stick to produce and stick to other things are really, really sticky and really hard to wash off," says Chris Van Deusen, Department of State Health Services.
The symptoms they say to look for include fatigue, weakness, watery diarrhea, and abdominal cramps.
Van Deusen says it's important to see your physician to be tested if you have any of the symptoms.