The United Nations’ human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, said even babies had been mutilated by a government-linked militia and insurgents. - From https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/world/africa/congo-united-nations-human-rights-council.html?smid=tw-nytimesworld&smtyp=cur
By consensus, the United Nations’ main human rights body, the Human Rights Council, on Friday approved a resolution to send a team of international experts “to establish the truth” about events in Congo’s central Kasaï region, where an upsurge in violence in August last year has resulted in thousands of deaths and the destruction of entire villages.
On Tuesday, the United Nations’ human rights chief, Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein, presented the council with gruesome details of men, pregnant women and babies who were mutilated by a government-backed militia and insurgents, and the Catholic Church in Congo reported that there had been more than 3,300 deaths since October.
The United States would have liked a stronger resolution, Jason Mack, the head of its human rights delegation, told the council, expressing doubt that the Congolese government had “the will and capacity to complete a transparent and credible investigation.” The American ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki R.
Haley, said that the investigators must be allowed to work without interference and that Congo’s government must cooperate.
Any backsliding in carrying out the terms of the resolution would be taken up at the council’s next session in September, a Western diplomat said.