LeBlanc’s stepdaughter, Jennifer Bergquist, told People the Texas woman, 55, had eaten about “a dozen” more oysters than the others.
LeBlanc’s friend, Karen Bowers, told the news station they thought it was “an allergic reaction of sorts.” But LeBlanc got worse.
Another relative, Shannon Rose, told People that LeBlanc, who had undergone several surgeries as her condition worsened, knew she likely wouldn’t survive.
Fred Lopez, of Louisiana State University’s School of Medicine, told CBS 4 that the best way to make sure oysters are safe for consumption is to cook them.
Lopez told the news station that “high, sustained temperatures” are required to kill the organism.